Have you ever wondered if it’s possible to reduce file sizes? Imagine you have limited storage space on your smartphone or any device and you need to keep larger files. What can you do?
If you’re device has a limited storage space, there are several ways to reduce the file sizes of your games, movies, software, documents or any file. This can help you save more storage space or share data files with others more easily.
For example, you can compress pictures in your document to save disk space. You can use video compressors tools to reduce the size of your movies . You can also use PDF compressors to reduce the size of your PDF files.
To compress the files, you need to use software that can highly compress files and shrink them to a fraction of their original size, making it easier to store them on your device.
In this article, you will find out two methods that can help you on compressing files in windows. You will also explore different software and online tools that can help you compress various types of files, such as documents, photos, videos and data.
Before diving into methods, first, let’s understand what compression software is and what their pros and cons are?.
Table of Contents
What is compression tool/software?
Compression tools are software utilities designed to reduce the size of files by encoding data using algorithms that require fewer bits than the original size. These tools allow users to compress and decompress files easily.
Here are some advantages and disadvantages:
- It makes files smaller and saves space on your disk by using fewer bits to store the same information.
- Compressed files are quicker to send and receive over the internet and can be more easily attached to emails.
- By freeing up space on storage devices, system performance can be improved and prevent headaches issues.
- The process of compressing and decompressing files can require time and resources to fully compressed.
- Using various types of compressed files or methods may result in compatibility issues.
- It may lose the quality of image, video or audio files, depending on the format or algorithm used.
- CPU usage and processing time may increase during compression and decompression.
Discover the expertise list of different types of best file compressor software and online tools that can help you reduce the size of your files. Whether you need to compress games files, movies, software, document or apps, you can find a suitable option for your needs.
|Category||Compression Software||Online Tools|
|Document Compression Software||Foxit||Smallpdf, Adobe Acrobat (with PDF Optimizer)|
|Photo Compression Software||FileOptimizer, Photoshop||Compressor.io, TinyPNG|
|Video Compression Software||Any Video Converter||HandBrake, CloudConvert|
|Data/File Compression Software||7Zip, KGB||WeCompress, B1 Online Archiver|
Please make sure to use the same tool for both compressing and decompressing files. Using a different tool may result in failure.
How to Compress Files on Windows Using 7ZIP?
- Download and install “7Zip Software” on your PC from its official website.
- Select the “file” that you want to compress and right-click on it.
- Choose “7Zip” from the menu and click on “Add to archive”.
- Select “Ultra” in the compression level option and leave the other settings as they are.
- Click on “OK” and wait for the compression process to finish.
What is KGB Archiver?
KGB Archiver is a compressing tool that can reduce files to an extremely into a small size. It can achieve higher compression rates than other tools like 7zip and UHARC. KGB Archiver uses AES-256 encryption to secure the compressed files.
How to Compress any file Gigabyte to Megabyte?
- The first step is to download the KGB Archiver software.
- Install the KGB software on your Windows PC (Computer).
- After installing now Select “ Compress Files” option and click next.
- On Select the folder where you want to save the compressed file.
- Change the compression level from normal to maximum and keep the archive format as KGB.
- Add the file that you want to compress by clicking on the “Add File” option.
- Click next and wait for your file to compress. This may take a few minutes depending on the size of your file.
Download the KGB Archiver software from the link given below.
We have explored how to compress files from 1GB to 10MB using different software and online tools. We have discussed the advantages and disadvantages of compression tools, such as saving space, improving performance, reducing transfer time and losing quality.
We have also provided some examples of compression tools for various types of files, such as documents, photos, videos and data. Compression tools can be very useful for people who have limited storage space on their devices or who need to share large files with others.
However, they also have some limitations and risks that should be considered before using them. Therefore, choose a compression tool that suits your needs and preferences, and always backup your original files before compressing them.
Comments ( 7 )
Mohammad Talib says
I am currently compressing 2GB of a file via KGB Archiver and followed instructions for that software. I also set its priority to high. But it’s been 14 hours and counting, I am using my laptop but with these quick specs: intel core i7-3610QM (quad-core), 8GB Ram, and 2GB NVIDIA 610M Graphics. Perhaps you can agree that this is fairly high-performance. Checking task manager it’s only taking up to 20% of my CPU and I still have 25% unused ram. Am I on the right track here? One last question, does it make a difference whether it’s done in a Desktop instead of a Laptop?
I will let you know the outcome of this. Fingers crossed.
Immediate reply is highly appreciated.
Hi Dear Mohammad, You may follow 7Zip Procedure for compressing a file. Lappy or Desktop is not vary and it should have minimum 8 GB of RAM and Rewritable.
Jafar Iqbal says
Sir, I have AMD Fx 6300 6 core 3.5 Ghz Processor with 8Gb ddr3 1600 But Ram 2 GB graphic
But I cannot compress file GB to MB please help me what can I do …. How I compress highly.
Dear, Jafar The Process will take a long time to complete in AMD Processor, If you want to compress fastly you will need for the best Performance PC inbuilt with High-Performance Processor and RAM.
Sir I have i3 cpu with 2gb graphic
But I cannot compress file GB to mb I setting 7zip correctly as you told but ratio no reduce please help me what can I do …. How I compress highlly.. please help me.
Sorry I try KGB archiver but he can take longer time say year to complete please help how can I fast compress
@Akshay. You should need to try first methods.. I also Comprised 10 GB to 240MB only 20min, Please note there, Your Compression Time is depends on your PC, like how fast your Processor and Hard drive rewrite speed Even CPU and RAM speeds etc..
I have use KGB software but they take so many time for 3 gb file compressing
So i have request plz say how to compress my files into small size .
And I have i3 processor and 4gb ram and 2gb graphic card